Paige's Return to Deutschland!

Hallo from Berlin! This blog is a place for friends and family to get occasional snip-its on Biggs' life in Germany and me to assuage my guilt for living so far away from loved ones. Expect bad syntax and so-so sentence structure. There is no shame in just scrolling for little Biggs' photos for a "cute fix" without the risk of getting sucked into social media.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The end of an era: Employment

Yes, it’s true. After the longest employment period of my young life, 12 months, I am joining the ranks of unemployed. The funny thing is that I couldn’t be happier. Don’t get me wrong, I loved my last job. The people I worked with, albeit remotely, were awesome. The work was interesting and challenging. However, there was always the knowledge in the back of my mind that it could be over any day. Somehow knowing that it is actually over is a comfort in itself.

Naturally, the question is, “what is the next step?” Well, I did what most people do when they loose their job: climbed a mountain. Then I roped a 40 hour contract as a computer programmer with one of my buddies, Gabe, from the Greenwood Collective. (Quick plug: Gabe is launching a really cool site where laypeople can build their own private or company website. Check out http://soapboxcms.com/ for details)

Between random odd jobs and applying for stable employment, I guess you could say that I am not really unemployed. But, my schedule is more flexible than ever. Salsa dancing until 2 am on Sunday night? Yes! Mid-week trip to Vancouver BC? Sure! Unlimited hot yoga for a month? Why not! Internet Dating? The jury is still out on that one. Enjoying summer in Seattle? Alright!

The only thing that is going to have to be put on hold a bit is the “working remotely” action. Thankfully before I lost my job I got in a whirl wind trip to California. In just five days I visited Connor in San Francisco, my second family – The Rudmans – in San Jose, the Stenzel family – visiting from Hungary – in San Luis Obispo, and my buddy Brooks in Monterey. It was a real logistical triumph and so much fun.

Thank you for all of your support and prayers during my employment and now unemployment. For my Seattle buddies: any employment leads are much appreciated. For the out-of-towners: now is a really great time to visit Seattle. I am sure I can work showing you around into my busy social calendar. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home