Paige's Return to Deutschland!

Hallo from Berlin! This blog is a place for friends and family to get occasional snip-its on Biggs' life in Germany and me to assuage my guilt for living so far away from loved ones. Expect bad syntax and so-so sentence structure. There is no shame in just scrolling for little Biggs' photos for a "cute fix" without the risk of getting sucked into social media.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Mutter-Kind Kur Modos

The positive side to all of the paperwork before coming here is that I had a lot of time to really hone my goals for my three weeks here. 

Exhibit A: Screen shot of all the documents I filled out in six days notice. Just keeping the blog spicy.

The officially stated goals were:

  1. Gain better anger management skills
  2. Improve connection with my little explosive child
  3. Less tension in my body

My schedule for the first two days was two introductory group orientations and then one-on-one meetings with a physical therapist, psychologist, and doctor to figure out a plan for the next week. I showed up to a lot of these meetings unprepared (whoops) because I missed that there was more paperwork I needed to do before each meeting. Seriously. After living in Germany for four years, I probably should have known better. Nevertheless, the running around helped me hone my plan of attack:

  1. Maximum two things a day (one exercise, one mental)
  2. Maximize PB^2 Time
  3. Read parenting book, Bible, and Laurel's book

The Kur does have the possibility to do always do more - discussion groups, art therapy, deep muscle relaxation courses, etc. I gave one parenting movie and deep breathing course a go on last Monday, but they confirmed what I really want is less running around and more time to think. Also, while my German language skills improved through the initial process of submitting the application (screen shot of those applications not included, you're welcome), group conversations are still hard (and masks don't help). 

This week's schedule got a big change when we found out Paul's dad's knee replacement is having major issues and he was back in the hospital. Because I have help here, and Crosby is already out of school, we decided to send Crosby and Paul to Arizona for the week. We hatched the plan Friday, Cros and Paul were on a train to Berlin on Saturday, and then Sunday they flew to Phoenix. With the time change I don't really have an update on how Paul's dad is doing, but our prayers for traveling mercies for Paul and Crosby thus far have been answered.

6:35 am flight to London. Just one connection in Europe = all passengers have negative covid tests or are vaccinated before travel.

While we're sad to see Paul and Crosby go, we're making the most of our now "traditional" Kur experience - just Mom and not all the kids. Our new goals: 

1. Survival

Jokes. I'm still taking it easy and trying not to plan too much, with the exception of adding more post-Kita arts and crafts. As I've mentioned before, I am the kind of mom who gets down and plays on the ground with my kids. I teach them practical stuff and we chat, but crafting is not my forte. However, just like your marriage counselor will tell couples to go on a date and rekindle the passion, I think the time of having fun together without the stress of dinner or cleaning is good for our relationship. 

Crosby is so good at crafts he can do it by feel. 

Speaking of Crosby, this happened eight years ago: 

We did a little family celebration at a different Karl's Strawberry Farm before dropping Crosby and Paul at the train station on Saturday:

I believe this Karl's is the original/biggest. Ice skating was a hit as were the ice sculptures (too dark for pictures). 

Carmen, Hugo, and I celebrated Cros' birthday by eating his cake for him:

I promise I told the Kur he wouldn't be here. I did save the present for him though.

The next week will likely be filled with more of this:




And hopefully, this:

In their own beds...past 5:30 am...pretty please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home