Paige's Return to Deutschland!

Hallo from Berlin! This blog is a place for friends and family to get occasional snip-its on Biggs' life in Germany and me to assuage my guilt for living so far away from loved ones. Expect bad syntax and so-so sentence structure. There is no shame in just scrolling for little Biggs' photos for a "cute fix" without the risk of getting sucked into social media.

Monday, January 28, 2008

The Shot Heard around Mexico

Reason number 384 why I love Mexico: you don’t need any sort of medical documentation to administer a vaccination. Yes, yesterday I gave someone a shot. I know that for all of you medical professionals that doesn’t seem like a big deal. But for me, it was exciting; Exciting enough to say that I have done it but not motivating enough to start studying for MCATs or entertaining to my childhood dreams of becoming a doctor.

I should probably explain the context of how I am now “vaccinating” people. Well, the internship thing kind of came together. I am working with the Mexican Institute for Social Security (IMMS). Actually, the name is a bit deceiving because the IMMS has more to do with public health and health insurance than social security.

In any case, the IMMS is working on a few different vaccination campaigns. Last week we were doing a census of children under 5 in surrounding neighborhoods. This next week we will go back and vaccinate the kids that need to catch up and also administer a new oral vaccine against Measles. I still have a lot to learn about vaccinations. I probably should have paid more attention in my vaccinology course but I was too busy being wined and dined. (Archive January 2007 – Is there a Vaccination for Ottoman Fever?) The IMMS also has campaigns for healthier work places. The IMMS sends out mobile health professional teams to businesses. The team usually includes a couple nurses, a doctor, a nurse, and a blonde girl who wants to stick people in the arm. Yesterday we went out to a local agricultural business and gave the workers the measles vaccinations, tetanus boosters, condoms, and tooth brushes.

The jobs to pay the bills also seem to be coming through. On Monday I start my job as a homeschool PE teacher. Yes, I am getting paid to do Yoga with a 13 and 17 year-old. The job is slightly less rock-and-roll than my position in Berlin but I think maybe a bit more lucrative. I also am picking up some English classes.

When I am not doing the work/internship hustle I am dancing my pants off. One of the perks of a touristy place is there are tons of places to dance and lots of people on vacation who want to buy blondies drinks. There was a time where I refused drinks from men and wrote it off as a more socially acceptable form of prostitution. But, then the whole budget reality set in and now I don’t have much qualms about turning down anything free.

I am also enjoying living with the Mitchell family. I get to play big sister and babysitter which is fun. Also, Colleen has been my partner in crime since I have been here. We dance, we go to church, she finds me jobs, and we have some great conversations. We also have some funny activities like “speed dating” in our future. I will be sure to blog about that. Wow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lia Adel said...

Man I miss you, Paige!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home