Paige's Return to Deutschland!

Hallo from Berlin! This blog is a place for friends and family to get occasional snip-its on Biggs' life in Germany and me to assuage my guilt for living so far away from loved ones. Expect bad syntax and so-so sentence structure. There is no shame in just scrolling for little Biggs' photos for a "cute fix" without the risk of getting sucked into social media.

Friday, January 28, 2022

Audiobook DJ

Confession: I didn't like reading as a kid. 

I spent a lot of time doing this. 

Thankfully, as an adult I discovered a love of audio books. I usually listen while doing mundane tasks like laundry or dishes when the kids are in bed and Paul is working. In my previous life, I powered through a lot of books on I5 between Eugene and Seattle. Similar to my clothes m.o. where I first check the second hand option before buying new.  I first check the PDX library to download to my phone. If a book is not available, I buy it on audible.

I'm often sending audio book suggestions to friends who find themselves in different situations where audio books would be a comfort - pregnancy bedrest, long commutes, etc. Recently I've caught up with two friends with long commutes, and so I give you, a very incomplete list of great audiobooks.

When you're going to be in the car awhile

The Boys in the Boat - I was just telling my friend Neysa how I do not understand how this isn't a movie yet. The story of the 1936 olympic gold winning university of Washington crew boat. You'll love the NW description and the 1936 Olympic background is very interesting.

Unbroken - This one starts with the 1936 Olympics but the story of redemption and radical forgiveness towards the end is what I find most inspiring. The middle part, which I believe most of the Angelina Jolie movie is about, is brutal. 

When you need a good laugh

Bossypants - I always loved Tina Fey and this short book made me love her even more.

The Rosie Project - The character descriptions in this book from the point of view of a narrator on the autism spectrum are just amazing. It's also narrated by an Aussie, which is a plus. (I don't know why I can't get a sample link to Audible. Sorry!)

Where'd you go, Bernadette - I heard about this book from a friend who's husband read her parts of it while she was in labor. It is that good. There is some Seattle bashing, but I found it funny.

Born a Crime - Not knowing much about Trevor Noah other than he's funny, this book was fascinating. It was nice to hear him tell his own story and provide fascinating historical perspective on his South African childhood. 

When you need a civics lesson

Giant of the Senate - Al Franken has a great story to tell even if his senate experience ended negatively. The background, especially when he breaks down things like our health care system, is interesting and engaging. 

Homegoing - At first glance, I think some people would find this topic too heavy to want to read. But her writing is absolute genius. I learned things about slavery and being black in America in this book that I should have learned in public school.

When you want romance (AKA keeping it classy)

100 Summers - If you're going to be trashy, you might as well do it right. Beatriz Williams reminds me of what you think of a Stanford grad - she can do all the things, and she does them well. 

The Wedding Party - I saw this book on my friend Maggie's insta. She reads more than any person I know.  I thought - "Yes, I should be reading more BIPOC authors and I also just want to zone out." This one is spicy.

When you want to travel but that's not an option at the moment

The Geography of Bliss - A self-proclaimed grump travels the world in search of "happiness". This is a must read if Iceland, Qatar, Bhutan, or Moldova are on your travel list. This book has a special place in my heart as I listened to it while painting our PDX baby room.

Cutting for Stone - This book is heavy and complex with the backdrop of a medical mission in Ethiopia. I loved it even more in retrospect because the author wrote the intro to my favorite book (below)...

When you're ready to go deep (AKA the suggestions that most people don't read but I suggest them anyway)

When Breath Becomes Air - This book is so honest and crushing. I fell in love with this book before I even knew he was friends with my favorite Dad friend (hi again Dudu!). The narrator is the same as Cutting for Stone which was also soothing.

The Bright Hour - honestly, I had a little trouble getting into this book because it's a similar theme to When Breath Becomes Air and I liked that book so much. But the Bright Hour is also beautiful.

Being Mortal - My mom's oncologist recommended this book when she got the final terminal diagnosis. This was exactly the kind of book that she would hate (accepting the limitations of life) and the kind of book I love (practical and realistic).

Know my Name - Chanel Miller is such a boss. Please someone read this so we can talk about it. These were my thoughts.

Radical Love - This heartfelt memoir of Zachary Levi's mental health journey is a must read for anyone walking along someone with mental health struggles. Buckle up because you're in for a roller coaster ride of emotions. Full report here.

When you need some parenting inspiration 

My Beloved World - I include this book in" parenting inspiration"  because Sonia Sotomayor's mom did something amazing with the cards she was dealt. This beautiful autobiography is narrated by the talented Rita Moreno.

Anything by Wendy Mogel - I loved Blessings of a Skinned Knee and her book Voice Lessons for Parents was also great. I look forward to reading the Blessings of a B- in the teen years.

Boys Adrift - one of my favorite parts of this book is when he talks about how the German system is better for boys - more doing and experiences and less sitting in a classroom.

When you need to entertain your kids on a road trip

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - I love C.S. Lewis' Christian writings and to see Crosby get into  C.S. Lewis' writing for kids was such a gift of our road trip around Oregon and Washington this summer.

When you're ready to go to church

The Red Tent - ok confession, I actually just read this book a looong time ago. But the pastor of our church in Berlin listened to the audio and also found it fascinating. Sometimes it's hard to keep all the Old Testament folks straight, but you'll remember Jacob, Laban, Rachel, and Leah after this book. 

What is the Bible? - I've read some of Rob Bell's other books and thought he had some good things to say, but thought in recent years he was getting a little too pop culture. But, when my friend Liz recommended this one, she was right - it's good stuff. Funny and engaging. 

Ruthless Elimination of Hurry - The full report is here. I'm still working on this hurry business.

Anything by Kate Bowler, the late Rachel Held Evans, or Donald Miller. Amazing thinkers.

When you're sleepy

Ecclesiastes by Street Lights - Ok, did you really just say the Bible is what you use to put you to sleep? It's very soothing, ok? Street lights has been called Hamilton for the Bible. 

With that, I'm going to take a blog break and do some actual physical reading of one of my (not yet to audio) authors - Laurel Mathewson. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

xoxo, DTJ

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home