Paige's Return to Deutschland!

Hallo from Berlin! This blog is a place for friends and family to get occasional snip-its on Biggs' life in Germany and me to assuage my guilt for living so far away from loved ones. Expect bad syntax and so-so sentence structure. There is no shame in just scrolling for little Biggs' photos for a "cute fix" without the risk of getting sucked into social media.

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Berlin Reading and Watch List

Whenever a friend or family member is coming to Berlin I send over "homework" to get him or her pumped-up. Here is the current list, should you want to be prepared for the glorious day when the borders open again. 

Movies:
The movie titles are linked to trailers - just making it one step easier to come visit. ;)

Goodbye Lenin - This comedy is both sweet and funny. I have a crush on the main actor, Daniel Brühl. He lives here but I haven't seen him yet. Knowing his face will make celebrity siting more fun.
The Life of Others - You need to be emotionally prepared to see this drama. It's heavy but a smart insight into life in East Berlin.
Bridge of Spies - this bridge is in Potsdam (20 km outside Berlin). Much of the movie is shot in Berlin. Also, Tom Hanks is brilliant. Per usual. This last movie is paired well with a trip to both the bridge and the Spy Museum in Potsdamer Platz. 

Summer shot of the Bridge of Spies - sailing with Captain Maciek.




Play that's also a movie: 
Cabaret - come visit and we can see it live! This recommendation is from my dad.

Books:
I've listened to all of these as audio books. I think the writing is solid though, if you actually physically read books.

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown -  the first part of this book takes place in the Pacific Northwest. The last part of the book provides great context of 1936 Olympics. This book and story is one of my favorites.
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - Ok, to be fair, there isn't a ton about the 1936 Olympics in this book. But, the redemptive story of Louis Zamperini is powerful. The first part of the book talks about Louis Zamperini's race in the 1936 Olympics. The middle is total agony and the end is inspiring.  This book is also a movie, but I do not know how much of the movie, if any, takes place in Berlin. 
The Good German by Joseph Kanon - This is fiction, but there is a little cafe I have been to for schnitzel on Unter den Linden that I swear is right out of the book. This book is also a movie but I have not seen it. 


Recent selfie from an Unter den Linden date.


Books I'm reading right now but can already recommend:
Thank you Multnomah Public Library for audio books. (hey! We still pay taxes so it is totally fair.)

Blitzed by Norman Ohler - This book gives the history of how crystal meth was developed for the Nazi soldiers and then goes on to talk about Hitler's addiction. It was terrifying to read this while Trump was taking a bunch of crazy stuff when he had Covid.  
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson - This book takes place in the early 1930s during Hitler's rise to power. Most of the book takes place in Berlin. This book is perhaps the best book for getting a lay of the land.

Kids Books:
When we would travel as kids, my parents had us do book reports before we would go places too. I need to fill out this section more but for now:
The Faithful Spy: Dietrich Bonhoeffer and the Plot to Kill Hitler by John Hendrix - this is a graphic novel I bought for my nephew for Easter but ended up giving to my kids on May 8th (the 75th anniversary of the end of the war). The topics of this book are definitely more appropriate for older kids. But, the Christian, Spy, German combo was too awesome to wait.

Please let me know in the comments if you have any books, movies, podcasts, etc to add.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home